Sunday, October 14, 2007

wind a blowin'

One boat went out today to the habitat - it's about a 45 minute boat ride on relatively calm seas. Today the wind is blowing at least 20knots which will give 5-8ft waves so that's at least an hour boat ride in rough seas. I volunteered to go because I rarely get sea sick but apparently news from the top says they were worried about the "skinny girl" and the heavy (and expensive) equipment. So I'm not going out. Time to do some push ups.

I've really enjoy working underwater here in Key Largo and elsewhere in Mexico, NH, San Juan Island. Not only is it fun to be fiddling with instruments, bringing down bags of tools, or chasing down fish while hovering, there is also a certain sense of accomplishment from getting things done underwater, communicating in charades-like movements to your buddy, and not just being a tourist in the underwater world.

But today is a day off, it does give me time to rest my ears and get some solid non-diving work done. This, of course, means putting more pictures for all of your entertainment and mine. Tomorrow isn't supposed to be any better in terms of wind but work does need to be done so I suspect I'll be diving.



US-1


Otto, Doug, Me, and Jeff



Had a wonderful visit from Jeff Bozanic, my original rebreather instructor



Passing the dive shop nearby



Out at the main buoy for the habitat

No comments: