Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Rescuing Irony

Hello from Ohio!
I have had two classes of my PADI IDC (instructor development course) and all is well. We're doing the lecture stuff first, so it's a bit hard right now as we are sitting in lecture all day and not diving. But that is coming soon. I'm in the class with four other people all from Columbus where we are taking the course.

I have already gone through the SDI instructor course so it is interesting to see the differences between the agencies. While I am here I am also becoming an emergency first responder instructor and DAN oxygen provider instructor. So if anyone needs first air or CPR for work or other activities, I'd be happy to be your instructor! I'm enjoying learning how to teach. While I did teach at Cornell and also at the Aquarium and Seacoast Science Center, teaching diving has proved to be quite different. I am teaching students to learn amazing skills and to become safe divers. I remember my first open water course - I was amazed at how easy it was for my instructor to show the skills and take us diving and how much I wanted to become such a good diver like he was. Well, I hope I can be this role model for my future students. I am thrilled to have the chance to pass on something that I love.

On a different note, I have hurt myself again. No worries, it's not too bad - but I have a slight limp at the moment. I opened up the door of my instructor's car and some books spilled out onto the ground. I was wearing flip-flops and one of them nailed me on the top of the foot. Bending down to reach my throbbing foot I realized the book that had hit me was PADI's Rescue Diver course manual. At least it wasn't the instructor manual - I think I would have broken my foot with that one. Some ice and ibuprofen should do the trick. Time for bed and to rest my "rescued" foot.

1 comment:

Maia said...

well, at least you made it through the wedding with out injuring yourself :)