Pygmy sea horse - right in the center, looks like a piece of the gorgonian coral. can you see it?
It's a bugger to get a good picture and my lights aren't working, so hopefully I'll find more
scale: sea horse is about the length of your pinky nail
Today I'm off with Lorna and Shannon. Lorna works for the Mahonia Center and Shannon works for the Nature Conservancy. I spent a long time talking with Lorna last night about life here in Papua New Guinea. Lorna is actually from Bougainville which is closer to the Soloman Islands. She talked off their 10-year revolution to become an autonomous state separate from Papua New Guinea. Started due to controversy over the gold mining on the island, it turned into a horrific crisis where men disappeared from both sides (including her cousin). Lorna can't be more than 10 years older than me - so it is amazing to think of the differences of our childhoods. The crisis ended around 1994 and Bougainville has it's own constitution, government, and school system. The Bougainville people are proud, Lorna says, but the lasting effects of such a bloody revolution are probably yet to be fully seen.
It's a bugger to get a good picture and my lights aren't working, so hopefully I'll find more
scale: sea horse is about the length of your pinky nail
Today I'm off with Lorna and Shannon. Lorna works for the Mahonia Center and Shannon works for the Nature Conservancy. I spent a long time talking with Lorna last night about life here in Papua New Guinea. Lorna is actually from Bougainville which is closer to the Soloman Islands. She talked off their 10-year revolution to become an autonomous state separate from Papua New Guinea. Started due to controversy over the gold mining on the island, it turned into a horrific crisis where men disappeared from both sides (including her cousin). Lorna can't be more than 10 years older than me - so it is amazing to think of the differences of our childhoods. The crisis ended around 1994 and Bougainville has it's own constitution, government, and school system. The Bougainville people are proud, Lorna says, but the lasting effects of such a bloody revolution are probably yet to be fully seen.
No comments:
Post a Comment