Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The sights to see

I spent a lovely morning walking around with Austalasian scholar Mat to check out the Opera House and botanical gardens. We first walked across the famous harbor bridge.
It is always neat to see famous structures and landmarks but it is so strange to see the Opera House after so many years of viewing it through post cards, TV, and even board games. It is a beautiful building with lovely surroundings.
Perhaps it's beacuse I am staying with friends but it doesn't seem particularly odd that I am here. What I mean by this is that I have always wanted to travel to Australia and now that I am here I am not overwhelmed by a sense of awe. Yes, it's beautiful and gorgous and I am so glad to have come but it feels normal in a way I hadn't expected it to. Perhaps, again, it is from all my traveling and it's something that I am used to. I had the same feelings when traveling to Paris last March and Egypt this past May. I think that instead of the world being a large, unfamiliar place, it is now small and manageable.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Memories of New Zealand...looks like an excellent time. Enjoy!

-Sarah