Sunday, January 20, 2008

Technical diving conference

DAN's first ever technical diving conference was held the past two days - about 150 divers, researchers, scientists, and manufacturers got together to talk about such things as decompression sickness, O2 toxicity, CO2, training, rebreathers, physiology, and many other important topics especially as technical divers. As a new technical diver, these topics were quite interesting to me not just to learn more about them but to also see what questions the experts ad - what did they want to know? The lectures were informative but I especially liked the panel discussions on rebreathers and training. A few times the room got quite heated! There is a lot that is just not quite none yet when divers start to go deeper for longer, what kind of decompression stops to make etc.


Technical divers talk about serious issues



Training panel

The days were quite long from 8am-6pm then with dinner until past 10pm. But it was an enjoyable time especially since I already knew a handful of the conference participants and there were plenty of new people to meet.

On a different note:

I started January with a very slow start and not quite knowing how the rest of the winter and spring would pan out. Now that I am back on the road and having wonderful scholarship experiences in NC, I have started feeling that amazing fire when traveling to new destinations, meeting new people, and of course, finding old friends again. It felt wonderful to go to this conference and have familiar friends smiling at me the moment I got to Durham.

Let's see some of those faces!



Karl Huggins from the Catalina hyperbaric chamber



The ever wonderful Jeff Bozanic my rebreather and SDI instructor



John Chatterton and Richie Kohler of
Shadow divers and Wreck Detectives



Mr. Rich Pyle, everyone! If you want a good laugh, ask me about him


Dan and Betty Orr of Divers Alert Network
(and my wonderful hosts)


Always a dear, Mike Fowler of Silent Diving Systems

1 comment:

TheCatnip said...

Wow, that really is cool... and now I know which end of a shark is dangerous! haha