Sunday, June 17, 2007

Under pressure

Whew, these past few days have been challenging. The Advanced Nitrox and Deco courses are taking their toll on me. While I reflect on these past few days, I am happily sipping a beer while waiting for a documentary on Manta Rays to begin in about half an hour.

Today we made two dives. The first, we went into decompression (this means that enough nitrogen has entered my body that I must make certain stops at certain depths and specified times to let my body 'de-gas'). We went to the Canyon again. Unfortunately, I don' think I was able to fully enjoy the dive as my eyes were more or less glued to my wonderful VR3 dive computer (thanks to Delta-P technologies!). But i made it to 42 meters and am now safe and sound with my Sakara beer.

The second dive, while only to 10 meters or so and more just to finish the skill set was much harder. We entered into the water when there were quite a lot of surf. Pictures to accompany this story:


Divers are ready! Igor, Bart (our Intructor) and me


We prepare to enter the water. I am on the right.


Brenna falls down. Igor tries to help


Samir and Igor try to get Brenna up


I made it! After floundering around for 5 mins I finally get in the water. Here I am carrying the full gear of twin cylinders with air plus two sling bottles of nitrox. Normally I would be wearing only one sling on my left, but this made for a more impressive picture.

Me with twin cylinders and both nitrox slings on each hip. looks heavy? it is!


Igor and I fully kitted up (i'm on the right)


A seahorse!

We exchange sling bottles (me on the left)



Oh no! There's an unconscious diver! I'd better rescue him
(practicing our rescue skills)


Practicing our shut down skills

It was a tiring dive! I ended up falling down yet again in the surf. This time, I refused to even try and get up. I just took my gear off, left it on the beach, and retrieved it (with help) after I had a rest. Tonight (after the much deserved beer) I will finish the tests and tomorrow we go back to the blue hole!

No comments: