Saturday, June 30, 2007

What do you do again?

This past month I have found myself explaining to people what in the world I am doing this year. These people fall into two main categories: 1) Divers (while at a dive shop, diving, or just around) and 2) Non-divers (people I befriend on trains, for example).

I start by saying that I am on a scholarship that allows me to travel for a year SCUBA diving. When this peaks their interest, I move on to what I have been doing and what my aspirations are. Then, inevitably I continue by telling them of my amazing sponsors - Aqua Lung, Rolex, Delta P, Fourth Element, and others and of the amazing connections with people I will make this year.

People who are divers will listen intently to all of this and respond with many versions and translations of "wow!" (usually a more forceful 'wow' combined with something on the lines of 'you bleeping lucky dog). They understand the significance of this experience and can share in the excitement. And as I become more well acquainted with the diving world myself, I too am more aware of the significance of this scholarship.

Contrast this to non-divers. The most common remark I get is "wow, that's awesome, you get to travel around the world for a year" but then when it gets to the diving aspects it usually goes to "oh, that's nice" route. Of course I wouldn't expect non-divers to understand what my scholarship means, but it is certainly strange for me not to be able to share my excitement with them. For example, I tried to explain what tech diving was and how amazing it was to gave two cylinders on my back and use to learn nitrox. This went completely over this persons head and unfortunately I could not share the experience.

So I find myself in some odd positions when talking about this scholarship. Through this blog I had hoped to open this world to my non-diving family and friends while keeping the excitement open to my friends and colleagues who are diving. In regards to this, please feel free to leave comments about how I am doing describing my year.

I am spending my last night in London and will begin my long journey home to the States tomorrow!

No comments: