Went for a nice short dive yesterday in the Harbor to collect some Undaria sp. film. Undaria is a non-native species of algae that has arrived to the west coast from our friends further west most likely by ship ballast water. Monterey remains the northern most point that Undaria has been found (yet) so researchers here including many from the UC system and at the sanctuary are trying to determine as much as they can about Undaria. I went diving with Rita a woman who has formed a volunteer group that clears the harbor of Undaria every month in hopes of reducing it's population and therefore impact on the ecosystem. I am working with Rita now to begin filming a Public Service Announcement to call for more volunteers. I do not think we will get that done while I am here but at least I can be handy and help provide underwater filming.
It was a lovely dive although quite short but nice to be back in the water. I found very little Undaria but did get to play around with some crabs on the pilings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment